Friday 17 April 2015

Survivng a Seasonal Cold How to ( and A Neapolitan Sauce Recipe )

I'm sick! It's chilly where I live and I can't say I feel up to doing much
other than lying in bed and watching YouTube videos... So why not blog about it


If you're feeling like you might get sick this is a list of Dos and Don'ts I try to adhere to when I'm sick.

DO take the day off if you need too. Things can wait, people will get by without you for a while. Your health is important!

DON'T have too much dairy if there's a lot of gunk (phlegm) in your throat and nose. Yum.

DO get some moisture in through use of a Water Bottle and also Water Vaporiser if you're like . I don't actually have a water vaporiser so I had to improvise and use an electric saucepan on low with water and some Eucalyptus Steam Inhalant (I used the brand Bosisto's) in it. It's really been helping my cough. (But DON'T leave a electric saucepan on, unattended for a long time)

DO get lots of vitamins in. Upping your daily veggie intake is never a bad idea. Garlic, onion and vitamin C rich fruit (e.g. citrus fruits) are all great for preventing against and helping the body fight infections, colds and flu's.

My favourite thing to do is just to chuck all the raw vegetables I have available into a saucepan with a tin or two of diced tomatoes and a tub of tomato paste. I don't bother with chopping finely or peeling I pretty much chuck it all in a pot with some water and let it simmer for a few hours, stirring occasionally until everything is cooked. I add the garlic and onion at the last minute then blend. It turns into a beautiful Neapolitan sauce - trust me!

If you're unsure of what vegetables will taste good I have tried:
Carrot, Zucchini, Broccoli, Mushroom, Beetroot, Capsicum (this can take over the flavour), Tomato, Brown Onion, Garlic among others and they have all worked well.

I have also tried adding dried and fresh herbs, stock cubes, seasoning and red wine and this all added nicely to the flavour!


Eat it with noodles, as a pizza sauce base, on a chicken parmigiana, with a vegetable bake or come up with your own way of eating it. The world is your oyster!


Otherwise just get some fresh air, relax and take care of yourself - or get someone else to look after you!



I'll see your lovely, healthy self in the next one!

Love Laura

P.S. Please DON'T take anything I say as fact and DO please go to the doctors if you're really feeling poorly!

No comments:

Post a Comment